Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ecuador

So tonight we went to play/watch soccer again (eric and I) and when we got there realized it was an actual intramural game against another department. So I didn't play and eric played for a couple minutes to give one of the guys a break! This was quite different than when we had played solely with the Biology department folks because there was an out of bounds! Imagine playing soccer on a basketball court with 7 vs. 7 it was quite packed and the foot work was amazing! Area Biologica won the game 6-4 against a team that was very good!

I'm going to be doing a little bit of reflecting now upon the times that I have had here in Ecuador as the last work week comes to a close. It has been a great time and have had tons of fun I have met so many amazing people here! Those that are native Ecuadorean's and the casual encounter with those that have made there way here from other locations (mostly U.S. and Europe) This reminds me today we went to eat at this "Health nut" restaurant I had a chicken quesadilla (which was excellent!)  and as we were getting up to pay a gentleman at the table next to us started saying "Daniel" "Daniel" and I looked towards him with an awkward look and he said "Oh sorry you're not Daniel are you?" I responded with a polite "no" and struck up a short conversation to help ease the awkwardness
Me: "So where are you from?"
Stranger: "Vilcabamba"
Me: and before that?
Stranger: Oh from Canada and California and you all?
Me: From Idaho, Washington, New Mexico all over
Stranger: Very nice have a good time here!

This is a common occurence with the recognition of fellow "extranjeros" (foreigners) especially those that speak english! It has been nice to speak with them and to figure out what brings them to this wonderful country (especially the less popular than Galapagos southern Ecuador). Usually just touring S. America with the occasional ex-pat that has moved down here with their spouse or family. Which brings me to my next thought. Being down here and speaking the language (or trying to anyways) has probably been my favorite part about the experience. Before I always thought it would be interesting to learn another language but actually doing so and using it in an application such as research and communication for travel has made me appreciate it so much more! I want to try and take it upon myself to learn more spanish however it may happen so that I can continue my travels and possibly even starting to pick up on a third language. Not really sure what that would be but definitely would be quite awesome to do! This whole experience has fueled my interest in research and continuing my education both in the field of Ecology/Biology/Social-sciences as well as in other experiences such as broadening my knowledge in general. Well I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get all this stuff back to the U.S. will post more later this week!



P.S. It has been raining since after lunch today and most all of the streets are flooded! On my way back from lunch I was walking and got splashed by a car driving through a giant puddle. It made me a little angry. The clay-ey soil causes the rain to run off and collect but it seems like it has been raining inches and inches all day. It is currently raining right now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment