Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Long nights and short days

Well the days are short the nights longer (meaning it's really dark out really early). I miss the sun I don't think I've seen it for 2 weeks now it has been raining constantly. It's quite rudiculous actually, the river we cross everyday to get to the university is running so high and fast you probably couldn't even stand in it. The food here, although delicious can get quite repetitive after a month, I will be grateful for variety in styles of cuisine upon returning but until then I will continue to enjoy meat flavored meat with rice and soups. I guess you could say I was homesick I'm missing the routine of everyday life and knowing what people were saying. But I have taken full advantage of saying/speaking to other people in english and having them not understand it's quite entertaining actually and have made a game out of it when we go shopping and have annoying sales "people" trying to sell me something! They just stare back at me just as confused as I do them when they ask me questions haha!

Oh almost forgot, myself and eric were able to play soccer with a bunch of the professors from the university on monday night (6/13/2011) and man was it rough!! haha! It was an indoor game on the other side of town and we got a ride there from a couple of the professors and a few of the girls came to watch. It was quite intense, I was a little tired after the first 15 minutes, not going to lie. But then after that I realized I didn't have to be constantly running up and down the tiny indoor field we were playing on! Our team always held the lead except for at one point when we were tied at 15-15...yeah it was a high scoring game but what can you expect out of a bunch of semi-pro professors and 2 white kids from the states who they put on the same team! haha. So a little about our performances Eric did amazing and scored like 3 goals or more and had a couple assists. His footwork was amazing and he definitely was in a little better shape than I was, or atleast he wasn't running as much ahaha. I scored 1 goal and was so tired by the end of the game it was ri-donk-u-lus! ridonkulous! But it was a blast and after the game we hung around and had a couple beers with the guys to help "rehydrate" haha, it was good that the soccer crossed the language barrier and we were all able to have something in common for a little while out of the day. Now when I see those guys in the office we greet each other like old friends from years ago, it's amazing how well they treat each other here. The only thing is they won't let "girls/women" play in their games. A mans game is a mans game so the girls are a little bummed that they won't get to play so I'm hoping we can maybe find a park to play at on saturdays, that would be kind of fun...anyways that leads my to the next topic weekends.

So this weekend we are going to Cuenca this weekend which is a UNESCO city...not sure what that exactly means but it's pretty exciting and will let you know in a blog after this...also I am hoping to go to Montanita so that I can actually get some sun! It's a beach on the west coast...it has been so rainy/cloudy here for the past 2 weeks all I want is some sun and long summer days instead of it getting dark at 630...Well I'm headed to bed now gotta get up early. Talk to yall later. ask questions if you got them!

No comments:

Post a Comment